Monday, October 29, 2012

What Is To Come

I intend to use this space to do some writing about mathematics. I am mostly interested in geometry. My training was in differential geometry, dynamical systems and Lie theory. I am still interested in those topics. Lately I have been interested in some geometric analysis, so some basics about the uses of differential equations in geometry might appear here.

The last few years I have been teaching preservice teachers about geometry, and this has led to a deeper interest in some of the “basics.” There is a lot of fun stuff in what gets called elementary geometry.

I mentor a fair number of undergraduates through research experiences, too. One project lately has led to a combinatorics & number theory problem about some restricted kinds of partitions. I’d like to learn some more about this, so that might make an appearance here, too.

So, follow along to see me struggle through any of the following topcs:
  • differential geometry, at all levels and of any kind
  • classical Euclidean geometry
  • some differential equations
  • some combinatorics, especially about partitions.
Welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I like geometry, DEs, and especially combinatorics. So keep blogging!

    Oh, and this is Dan Drake. No idea why the name isn't coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Dan Drake is one of my favorite Unknowns! I hope to write something you find worth reading, but only time will tell.

    The name may not come up if you (a) don't have a blogger account, or (b) haven't linked it with your google+ account. For some reason (I'm looking at you European Union), Google has slowed down their pace of integrating all of their services.

    ReplyDelete